The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychologist such that information cannot be disclosed without a client’s written permission.
However, there are several exceptions to confidentiality:
(1) I am required to report any suspected incident of child abuse or neglect immediately to the appropriate authorities.
(2) I am required to report any suspected incident of abuse or imminent risk of abuse, exploitation or neglect of an at-risk elder immediately to law enforcement.
(3) I am required to report to law enforcement and to the person(s) targeted, any threat of imminent physical harm by a client, including those identifiable by their association with a specific location or entity.
(4) I am required to initiate a mental health evaluation of a client who is imminently dangerous to self or to others, or who is gravely disabled, as a result of a mental disorder.
(5) I am required to report any suspected threat to national security to federal officials.